Theatre Training that you can get at Ninasam
There are TWO courses that you can join at Ninasam, in which you will get training into the actual practice of theatre. The first one is the 10-month course culminating into a Diploma in Theatre Arts; and a 21-day Summer Theatre Course, which is introductory. Apart from these two courses, you can also attend the Ninasam Samskriti Shibira; but that is a 5-day appreciation workshop held every October, where no practical training is offered (the announcement, details and applications for this are available online around mid-August).
1. 10-month full-time course – Diploma in Theatre Arts
- It is intended for students who are hoping to take theatre as a profession seriously. Therefore, some experience of theatre work, in any of its aspect (acting, stagecraft, dramaturgy), at least in an amateur capacity, is expected from the applicants.
- This will be a 10-month rigourous training, and the students need to have a strong physical and mental capacity to take it.
- Ninasam has hostels for boys and girls, and all students must reside there and take food at the campus canteen.
- For more details of the Course, faculty and other facilities available at Ninasam, please consult the prospectus of the Institute, which is available here for free download.
- This course starts on 15th July and finishes on 15th May next year, with a 15-day break in December. The Institute works from 7am to 9pm with breaks, and full attendance, including on Sundays, and public holidays, is mandatory.
- The announcement seeking applications is put up on the Ninasam website (and also in the media), around the first week of May. Prospectus and application forms will be available for download online, and it can also be sent by post for those who ask for it. Applications, with an application fee, are to be sent by post only, the last date for which will be around the third week of June.
- Only 15-20 people are selected out of a large number of applicants, based on a two day interview that takes place in the last week of June or the first week of July.
- The first 15 students who are selected for this course, get a stipend from the Dept. of Kannada and Culture, Govt. of Karnataka, which partially covers their food and stay expenses. The students selected under this fellowship, will have to pay around Rs. 8,000 for the full duration of the course to cover all expenses including examination and other fees.
- Students who can get an external institutional sponsorship to cover their expenditure and fees will have to mention that in their application. Up to 5 more students will be selected under this category. The institutions that offer this sponsorship will have to pay around Rs. 32,000 for the full duration of the course to cover all expenses including food, stay, examination and other fees.
2. 21-day Summer Theatre Course
- It is intended for two kinds of aspirants: 1. For those who wish to have a basic but overall introduction into the art and craft of theatre; but who cannot attend a longer programme. For example, employed people or aspirants who have family responsibilities. and, 2. For those, who think that they have an aptitude for theatre, and wish to take a longer training, but, not sure whether it suits their interests and capacity. For such people, this course will give enough immersion into the practice of theatre, enabling them to take the right decision.
- Participants are required to attend this course full time, on all the 21 days, for a rigourous residential training in the theoretical and practical aspects of theatre. The participants will also be part of an actual theatre production apart from classes on specific subjects.
- Food and modest stay arrangements are provided by Ninasam. There will be a fee to cover these expenses, which will be around Rs. 5000 per participant.
- This course is normally scheduled between 11th and 31st of July every year, and applications are invited on the Ninasam website (and elsewhere), around the first week of April. Facility to apply online, or send the application (which is available online) by post is available.
- Only 30-40 people are selected out of a large number of applicants, based on their application; there will be no interview for this selection.