- Established in 1980.
- Offers a one-year diploma in theatre arts; syllabus modelled on NSD; with emphasis on working in non-urban conditions.
- 15-20 students taken in every year; all get scholarships covering food and stay expenses.
- Ten-month intensive residental training; classes between 7 am and 9 pm.
- 3 major productions prepared every year.
- A total of 472 students (345 male and 127 female) from all parts of Karnataka have completed the course.
- 80% of the past students are active in non-commercial theatre and related cultural activites.
- At least one alumnus is seen associated with every major Kannada theatre event today.
- Has produced more than 130 plays, which include Kannada, western, and Indian language works.
- The total expenditure of the Institute was approximately Rs. 50,000 in 1980; Rs. 5,00,000 in 1990; Rs. 15,00,000 in 2002; Rs. 24,00,000 in 2010. more than 80% of this has been spent on salary and scholarships.
- The major source of income is the annual grant from the Dept. of Kannada and Culture, Govt. of Karnataka, which covers 90% of the expenditure. For the rest, donations are sought.
For Ninasam Theatre Institute Photos click here.